Monday, March 2, 2015

Purim is More Than Just ‘Jewish Halloween’

Why the common comparison sells the Jewish holiday short


By Leah Damski for Tablet Magazine

This past Halloween, a non-Jewish acquaintance at the gym asked me what my children would be dressing up as when they went trick-or-treating. As Orthodox Jews, I explained to her, we don’t celebrate Halloween. The next thing out of my mouth surprised me.

“We have a holiday in the spring called Purim where the kids dress up in costumes and receive candy and other gifts.”

I knew Purim had absolutely no similarities to Halloween beyond the costume tradition, but I felt obligated to appease my gym friend. I wanted her to know that my kids weren’t deprived of the joy and art of costumes and treats.

“They knock on people’s doors asking for candy?” she asked, trying to disguise her shock. “In the spring?”

Continue reading.


Check out Jvillage's Purim Holiday Kit for great ideas about the holiday – crafts, recipes, etc.


For more Purim news, check out our    page.


No comments:

Post a Comment